Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] setting up debian workstation - nt4 network
  • From: Matt Johnson <johnsonmlw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:54:24 +0000 (UTC)
--- Rob Keeling <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > Hi Rob,
> >
> > I'm not the original poster - I've pointed him in
> the
> > direction or NIS and he'll sort it :)

I meant "of" not "or".

> Not used Debian, but guessing the principles will be
> the same.
>
> Does getent passwd list NT users? if not you need to
> edit nssswitch.conf to
> include
> winbind for passwd and Group.

I don't think so. I'll check tomorrow. I tried to hack
nsswitch.conf... not sure about success.

> After that yes it is pam, you need to look for a xdm
> or similar pam file.
>
> Suse uses a version of pam_unix2 which has a config
> file to allow
> pam_winbind to just work. I will
> try to find an older pam file which layered the
> modules.

Hmmmm. I suspect this "layered" stuff applies to me.

> Are you stuck with using Debian? (Great distro, just
> I know how suse
> works...)

Not really. I've used SuSE for some years - and I
think it's superb (I bought most versions from 6.4
onwards, so I put plenty of cash their way). I grew
tired of the upgrades. Apt-get upgrade gives you a
spanking new updated system in Debian (e.g. when a new
version of KDE or Gnome comes out), and with a Squid
box caching .deb packages, it a dream to administer.

> If you can check the getent command, I will get the
> config files from work
> over to you.

Thanks. I'll check it out tomorrow.

> Have I seen your name on the sheflug list by any
> chance?

Nope. Hertfordshire :)

--
Matt