Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Upgrade Question
  • From: "G.Harris" <gh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 05:56:37 +0000 (UTC)
We are trialling a single machine here at Maidenhill School to see what
the issues are. I am not a Linux expert and do not often delve into the
underlying setup. I push all the time to ensure a GUI to the most
important features.

We have SuSE V.8.2 dual booting with XP with no problems on a recent
Fujitsu machine. It was up and running very quickly and connected to the
Internet within minutes but it took some time to get it to see our
Windows print server and it sometimes loses contact. Connecting printers
still had some way to go for friendliness on this version. Users files
are stored on the Windows fileserver and never on the local machine. All
communications are IP.

The network also runs Citrix XP which provides a locked down desktop on
the XP machine, again with no problems.

Open Office has also been installed on ours Windows network for
comparison.

George Harris

--
If this e-mail contains anything that the recipient takes exception to, please contact:
The Headteacher, Maidenhill School GL10 2HA UK