Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Timetables and all that stuff
  • From: garry saddington <garry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:09:03 +0000 (UTC)
On Wednesday 17 March 2004 15:53, Seb James wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 15:30, adrian.wells wrote:
> > Thanks, I'll take a look (walks acroos campus...)
> >
> > Are there any web based ones available since we're all windowy here. Just
> > had the sims/.net sales people sniffing about! Hows the schools project
> > going, is anyone using it?
>
> I've heard that something like this is being developed at Skegness
> Grammar school. Not sure if it has been open sourced yet, but I believe
> the intention may have been to do so. That's Garry Saddington doing
> that. He has based it on Plone and I've seen an early version of it
> running.

Parts of it are in use at Skegness Grammar see www.scholarpack.org for some
details. I am still actively developing this to be a complete MIS for
schools, not a modular thing that extorts money at each purchase . It is
designed from the ground up around a MySQL database schema nad users Zope and
XML technologies to handle all government requirements (CTF,CBDS and PlASC)
simply - there is a large PDF to follow for SIMS! My present job is not
giving me much time for development and so if any offers are forthcoming I
may be tempted!
regards
garry

> We'd like to be involved in developing or improving this sort of
> application and have contacts with a couple of schools who are also
> interested in a SIMS alternative.
>
> Would you or anyone else be interested in funding continued development
> on an Open Source SIMS alternative?
>
> regards,
>
> Seb James
> --
> Managing Director, Educational Systems, Hypercube Systems Ltd
> Providing Open Source ICT solutions for schools.
> Tel: 0845 458 0277 Web: www.hypercubesystems.co.uk
> Mob: 07900 958964 Email: seb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

< Previous Next >