Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Squid Starting Problem
  • From: Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:20:24 +0000 (UTC)
--- "adrian.wells" <adrian.wells@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for clearing up the 'make' & 'make clean' Thomas, It so happens
> that
> we compiled it twice, I did it, went off to do something and my
> technician
> did it too! so I assume that we ended up with a 'clean' compile anyway.

The fact that your technician did that is a little worrying :)

> I've also posted this question on the Squid list as I was unsure if it
> was a
> Squid or SuSE problem. Marc Elsen asked me to try ./squid -k rotate, not

It's neither. It's more to do with an uncertainty about compiling apps.

./ means the current directory. The one that you are in. Since "." (the .
== current dir) cannot be in $PATH due to security reasons you have to use
it. I am interested to see which directory you are in when you issued the:

./squid

command. Type in "pwd" before you do it again.

> sure what it does, but it works :-) At least I can rotate now as the
> logs
> were getting a tad big.

Set up a cronjob to do it.

> If it's of help the file permissions are as follows from / to
> /sbin/squid
> User "Read, Write, Execute"
> Group & Others "Read, Execute"
> owner root