Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Re: Open Source or Propriety
  • From: Christopher Dawkins <cchd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 09:50:09 +0000 (UTC)

> This is a SUSE forum or other, is it not?

True.

> The fact that we are on this list is because we all support open Source.

Non sequitur - it doesn't follow. It is, we would wish, a free world.
Free speech, free association, freedom to improve software, freedom to
join any list (indeed, maybe even freedom to buy Windows). In discussion
it's healthy to have all sides. I am on a number of Windows lists. On
these, I marvel at the concerns they have over viruses, hacking,
defragmentation, reinstallation, roaming profiles, user-access to the
right-click, Nachi, copying and licensing issues. It's educational for me
to be on their lists. Let us encourage them to come on ours.

We should particularly welcome them as many are not happy where they are:
they may be forced by a company or school policy with which they do not
agree, and not willing to sacrifice their family to their principles. The
fact that they are on this list shows that they are more willing to
consider alternatives than the common herd. They tell us their reasons,
and provide us with valuable matter to consider. Those of them that are on
this list are clearly the more intelligent, the more knowledgable, the
"movers and shakers" of the Windows world.

But really we shouldn't view it as "us" and "them". There are shifting
sands, dual-boot systems and an infinite number of shades of grey in
between.

--
Christopher Dawkins, Felsted School, Dunmow, Essex CM6 3JG
01371-822698, mobile 07816 821659 cchd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx