Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] BECTa's spec on laptops for teachers
  • From: David Bowles <dbowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 14:02:48 +0000 (UTC)
...also some of the suppliers list MS Office (education edition) with
a price of just £55. This doesn't make the alternative Sun offering
look like such good value. This also gives some idea of the low low
low price MS pitches Office at in order to get this product into
schools!

David Bowles

> As far as I can recall the way the spec is worded the reference to
> e-mail omits the term 'freeware' as an exclusion. Hence Outlook
> Express is a valid e-mail client.

> David Bowles

>> On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 10:11:02PM +0000, David Bowles wrote:
>>>
>>> As for an e-mail client, this is usually covered by MS Outlook or the
>>> bundles Sun Office equivalent. Outlook express also fits the
>>> specification.

>> The latest spec would appear to exclude Outlook Express, since it is
>> "freeware". The only thing which would appear to be acceptable according
>> to the spec is something POP3 based. Which clashes with the "security
>> policy" of some of the RBCs.

< Previous Next >