Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] What do people use for a desktop database?
  • From: John Steventon <John.Steventon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 09:15:29 +0000 (UTC)
Hi,

I just came across this item of information. Don't know if it is of use
to anyone, or will add to any knowledge base.

It sounds like there has been a decision to release Rekall under the GPL.
But this only applies to the Linux and Mac X versions. The Windows version
remaining a commercial product.

According to the information on the site - "Rekall is a programmable,
database independant, GUI database client, similar to Microsoft Access.
With Rekall you can design data input forms,
reports and queries using the built-in designers. Through the use of the
Python scriping interface you can produce a fully functional database
application. Rekall includes a Python editor and debugger, macro editor,
wizards, form designer, report designer, query builder, database
importer/exporter and lots more. The standard edition includes drivers for
PostgreSQL, MySQL and xBase. Additional drivers for the heavey weight
RDBMS are available separately."

The site suggests that if you are looking a free alternative to MS Access,
which runs on Linux, Mac X and Windows (not yet GPL) then give Rekall a
try. http://www.totalrekall.co.uk or http://www.rygannon.com
(soon to be shut down)

My understanding is that the last bits of the old licencing text is
being removed from the source, and it is about to become fully available.

I'm hoping to have a chance to investigate over Xmas - but would welcome
others comments as well if you have already tried it, or found good
reason not to use.

Regards

John