Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Open Source in Education Conference cancelled
  • From: garry saddington <garry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 11:32:07 +0000 (UTC)
On Saturday 04 October 2003 11:36, ian wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 11:24, garry saddington wrote:
> > On Friday 03 October 2003 23:10, N.Pauli wrote:
> > > Dear All,
> > >
> > > I was really looking forward to this, wanted to ask lots of practical
> > > questions (how do I go about getting someone to write linux software
> > > for an interactive board?) and now I find that it has been cancelled.
> > > What is more, there doesn't seem to be any reaction to this on this
> > > list.
> >
> > I would just like to make some observations concerning this conference.
> > Firstly the amount of notice about it was very short which does not help
> > teachers in planning. Secondly it was planned in term-time which causes
> > two problems:
> > 1/ We are in a very small minority and in some cases totally
> > misunderstood by SMT - why should they give us time off school?
> > 2/ Money is so short at our school that all external Inset and
> > conferences are prohibited, and I am sure that this is similar to other
> > schools.
>
> Except all schools get funded for INSET specifically. Just depends on
> what INSET is a priority.

My point entirely, we are not seen as high enough priority for INSET funds, if
there is any at all and what I said was that there are none in my school.

> > We are interested in free software, I believe that any such conference
> > should be as free to the participants as possible and planned when most
> > of the expected audience will be available.
>
> Agreed, but if you expect someone to take the risk in the outlay you
> have also to let them also have scope to make something out of it or at
> least cover their costs. Free software is more to do with freedom in
> licensing than it is to free in money terms. Suse, Mandrake, and Redhat
> all have to make money to be viable. If Free software is to flourish it
> has to have commercial backing and commercial business models built on
> it. As long as the licensing is free that is what matters.
>
> > We should not be using high profile,
> > expensive venues. Most of us work in large buildings which become free at
> > regular intervals throughout the year, should we not be investigating
> > this further?
>
> Yes and no. The image of free software being down market back of a fag
> packet stuff is not helpful if we want to capture the imagination of the
> SMT. I think there are arguments both ways on this.

What I was trying to suggest is why can't we organise one of these things
ourselves. We could give it just as high a profile but keep the costs down.

> > On a personal note now. There are not many institutions in the UK that
> > are actually teaching ICT throughout the school using open source tools.
> > These are listed on certain websites as case studies, as is my school. I
> > wonder if any of them were consulted about or personally invited to this
> > conference - I know I wasn't.
>
> Thing is how does anyone know to look at which web sites and which case
> studies. There was a meeting to set up Schoolforge UK and in those
> discussions, suitable examples were chosen of sites known to those
> taking part. I'd urge any school that is serious about FLOSS to have at
> least one teacher become a member of Schoolforge UK and perhaps the
> AFFS. AFFS costs £10 a year Schoolforge is free just log onto the Wiki
> and join.

I am a member of Schoolforge UK and my case study is on the site as well as on
Seul.org/edu.

> > I am very concerned about this cancellation though and I think we all
> > should be.
>
> I'm not too concerned simply because the earlier conference was quite
> well attended and as pointed out this one was not at the best time.
> Summer holidays are a killer. I would propose say late February now and
> everyone do as much as possible to get people there. If no-one else is
> prepared to organise it, I will, but I will have to cover costs so it
> will cost to attend.

Make it February half term and I, as well as other teachers may be able to
attend.