RE: [suse-linux-uk-schools] address ranges
  • From: Chris Puttick <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:00:54 +0000 (UTC)
The use of subnets is categorically a good thing; this prevents broadcast
traffic from slowing the network down and is a useful way of providing QoS -
the downside is lag between subnets if you use a router rather than layer 3
switching. You also need to provide services to resolve netbios names e.g.
WINS, and have a method of providing DHCP support.

We use layer 3 to support 20+ class C and below subnets without any issues
(W95/8,NT, 2000, XP, Linux, Unix). What concerns do you have on his behalf?

Chris