Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] addins users to groups....... 500+
  • From: "Andrew Nix" <andrew.nix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 10:52:25 +0000 (UTC)
> --- Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > --- Andrew Nix
> <andrew.nix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > I
>> need to add 500+ user to a group. Does anyone know how I can this
>> > without adding each person individually? As I think I might be sat
>> in this
>> > seat for the next two weeks adding everyone and miss my holiday to
>> Ibiza!
>> > Cheers
>>
>> You can do something like this:
>>
>> for i in $(cat /etc/passwd | awk -F: '{print $1}'); do chown
>> $i.GROUPNAME;
>> done
>
> Actually, you don't do that! It won't work....
>

> for i in $(cat /etc/passwd | awk -F: '{print $1}'); do adduser $i
> GROUPNAME; done

Will that add everyone in /etc/passwd? If so there are profiles in there
that dont need to be added to the group. I should have said this earlier.
I have a spreadsheet that was used to create all the profile and I want. I
used a commmand something like:

addnewuser <filename of spreadsheet>

and it created them all for me! Can something similar be done with groups?