RE: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Linux systems for managementin Educat ion
  • From: Chris Puttick <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:50:26 +0000 (UTC)
My apologies for crassly reading the last copy of the email, thinking "I
must reply to that" and then it promptly disappearing out of view (and out
of memory...).

School management systems are very varied and encompass a wide variety of
tasks; essentially nothing exists that covers the full range, open source or
commercially.

There are a number of open source projects that cover particular aspects of
school administration, in various stages of development. Only one (that I'm
aware of) seeks to make allowance for everything, SchoolTool. By adopting a
modular approach, SchoolTool intends to not only cover every aspect of
school administration, but also different countries needs. See:

http://schooltool.sourceforge.net

Schooltool has not yet released code, but is funded by the Shuttleworth
Foundation and has contracted developers - core code is scheduled for
delivery in September. SchoolTool will be accessible by both web browsers
and cross-platform GUIs.

A number of key (and funded) projects are in the pipeline, such as ILP
(Individual Learning Plans), CPDM (Curriculum Performance Data Management),
and the primary adaptation of the latter. These are being developed
concurrently, with ILP and Primary-CPDM (project Tigger) being developed by
the same team here at Central Manchester City Learning Centre. All these
three are going into pilot stage next month. All are web-based to reduce
TCO. Public online demonstrations will be available shortly, and the two we
are directly involved in will be registered on SourceForge in a few days (as
PigletandFriends!).

There is also our helpdesk system, HelpMeICT, which is a highly configurable
web-based solution, which is easily adapted to provide ticket-tracking for
admin and building services requests as well as ICT. A single server could
transparently deal with hundreds of sites, grouped as required. While this
is not specifically for schools, it is undoubtedly something that schools
are in increasing need of to manage their ever-growing IT systems.
Equivalent commercial helpdesk solutions would cost thousands of pounds per
school (and per council/NHS Trust etc.!). HelpMeICT is also being adapted as
a pupil behaviour tracker. See:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/helpmeict/

and

http://helpdesk.centralmanclc.com

I'm aware of several other school admin solutions that are available open
source, but these are primarily US/Canada focussed and would need
considerable adaptation to be of use here in the UK.

Commercial support for the solutions listed will be available.

I hope this helps. If you want any further information on any of the above,
please feel free to contact me.

Regards

Chris Puttick
IT Manager