Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] bombproof or overkill recovery plan
  • From: MJ Ray <markj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 12:45:09 +0000 (UTC)
Chris Puttick <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Go have a look at Linux Virtual Server...

I think that it's also worth looking at the heartbeat and High Availability
projects if they're still around.

An alternative to rsync would be to use Logical Volume Management
(LVM) and snapshot the local disk to a physical volume on a Network
Block Device. I've heard of people using snapshots for backups with good
success, as it avoids the problem of the filesystem being modified while
you're backing it up. (That problem is why we used to have to unmount
the disk when dumping it, usually meaning the system was effectively
down during backups.) It may or may not be worth the trouble for you.

Other things maybe worth having are the system watchdog timer (may require
kernel compile) which reboots the system if it becomes unresponsive and
the "panic=N" boot option which reboots the system N seconds after a
kernel panic. Use them with care.

--
MJR/slef My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.
http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ jabber://slef@xxxxxxxxx