Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] My make won't make
  • From: Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:05:24 +0000 (UTC)
--- Dave Williams <David@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> Thanks for the help about NICs.

No Worries :)

> I've installed Suse 8.2 and in attempting to add the Nvidia driver I've
> followed the instructions but I get an error
>
> make: *** No rule to make target 'oldconfig'. Stop.
>
> This is after issuing the command 'make oldconfig'
>
> Any ideas why the make command doesn't work and how I can fix it?

Well, typically this is because there is no clause in the "./Makefile" for
the "oldconfig" section. I'd be interested to know the exact stages that
you underwent...i.e. I assume that you did something simialr to this:

./configure && make && make install

That is the usual way of compiling things. Of course if I am compiling
from source then I use a utility called "stow" which allows me to keep
track of compiled binary files and their respective libs.

If "make oldconfig" is the first command you have tried, then it might be
that your makefile has come in a format used for Solaris and other Linux
derivatives (a la Imakefile). Such is the case then, that you can issue:

xmkfm -a

but I suspect that this is abstracting your problem too much.

My advice would be to "vi ./Makefile" and look to see for a similar
clause. Of course in anycase, by-passing this option is always a solution.

HTH,

Thomas Adam

=====
Thomas Adam