Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Numbering my applications
  • From: Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:18:27 +0000 (UTC)
On Wednesday 04 June 2003 5:00 pm, Matt Johnson wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I've googled this and pulled nothing. So, I'm writing
> my first 'application' in PHP. The only tenuous link
> to keep this 'on topic' is that I'm writing it on SuSE
> 8.2/Apache/MySQL/PHP. Could someone point me to what
> state my app should be in to constitute 'Alpha', then
> 'Beta', then 'version 1'. And equally, how do I
> 'number' it accurately to enable others to know where
> it's at on it's road to version 1? And as for 'release
> candidates'...
> Is there a universal system at work? If so, where's it
> at? Or is it up to the person at the wheel?

It is completely up to you what you call your version, but generally:

Aplha versions indicate a program in the initial stages, tested solely by the

Beta versions indicate a program that is approaching the end of the initial
development and in a suitable state to let non-developers help in the

Release candidates are usually late Beta versions, where you think all bugs
have been fixed and you want as many people as possible to test your s/w
prior to the actual product release.

As for versions, a number of schemes exist, but common ones have a
version/release/fix scheme, e.g. 0.1.0 would be the first Alpha version,
while 0.9.0 could possibly be the release candidate, and 1.0.0 the first
released version (unless your company name is M$ and your first release
version is 6 - cos the marketing folk say it looks beter).

> Thanks for any pointers. All a bit new :)

Gary Stainburn