RE: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Numbering my applications
  • From: Chris Puttick <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 11:27:48 +0000 (UTC)
Really up to the person at the wheel - OpenOffice just used build numbers
until they decided it was a release candidate, Mozilla used the 0.xx system
until they had the functionality they originally aimed to have.

Our (wonderful) helpdesk (http://helpdesk.centralmanclc.com) is using
version numbering similar to Mozilla:

v1.0 will be the first full release - by this we would mean it has
everything fully (as far as we can tell) functional that we initially
intended it would have. Any successive versions will have either additional
functionality or (highly unlikely, of course ;-) ) bug fixes.*

Major functionality additions add a .1 to the release, minor additions and
bug fixes add a 0.01.

The helpdesk has been in "live" use since 0.4 (about a month ago, now 0.7)
without any significant problems from either a user or data loss
perspective.

* Minor caveat: so much input from people from beyond the sponsoring
organisation that v1.0 will now have considerably more functionality than
originally intended...

Cheers

Chris