RE: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Free school administration software - project has started
  • From: "Bruce Miller" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 20:03:07 +0000 (UTC)
<Second replies below>

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Evans [mailto:mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 05 May 2003 19:02
To: Bruce Miller
Cc: Suse-Linux-Uk-Schools
Subject: Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Free school administration software
- project has started

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 09:53:18AM +0100, Bruce Miller wrote:
> On this idea of 'Me Too':

> The whole Capita / SIMS juggernaut is not something that anyone could
easily
> push off the road, I would have thought.

It depends who's doing the pushing. Individual schools probably not,
LEAs maybe.

< My experience is that it would be the LEA's who will be the hardest people
to change >

> Now,
>
> http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/alberto20000919.php3
>
> is an article that says Linux and PHP could be used to interface with the
> current SIMS database of MS SQL (which I believe they use).

Still requires a "No Thankyou" SQL server. Especially considering
the hacks which appear to be involved in making the data backupable.

< Don't know about the need to hack into MS SQL unfortunately.
My meagre experience is only with PHP and MySQL which seems to work well.
Disappointing if this is the case.>

> This way, creating a Web based set-up that could run from any computer,
Win
> or Lin ((Mac or Acorn (?)) could be created.
>
> In terms of skilling, human resources, change-over costs and change-over
> risks, the adoption of third party bolt-ons is a concept that could have a
> more eager uptake.

What's to prevent an LEA or CES themselves saying that a third
party "bolt on" results in void "support"?

< This could possibly be a problem.>

> This would make for manageable small projects that could be achievably
> produced by groups of keen teachers and also by student project too(!) -
> Don't know about you lot, but every year my A'level students struggle to
> find projects and the exam boards seem to love database interfacing as a
> topic.

You don't intend letting your students at the real data, since there
are DPA issues involved.

< I think I had the use of dummy files in mind on this one, and a separate
SQL server>

Bruce.