Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] ADSL speeds into school
  • From: "Mark Evans" <mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 22:16:54 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 03:55:07PM +0100, Alan Davies wrote:
> I noticed that Demon internet now offer better contention
> ratios than most (all?) other broadband providers.
> We are currently with pavilion (part of the easynet group) and although
> speeds were great a couple of years ago we have noticed a steady
> decline in service - which is barely better than ISDN rates around
> Lunch times.
> I assume this is down to contention - although we also use their
> filtered proxy service which has been a constriction in the past
> and I suspect that they use a transparent proxy on the non
> filtered service (is there a way to test for this?)

Go to a website which will display CGI variables and look

> Not only might it be possible to get better bandwidth but Demon
> appears to be cheaper too (certainly less than we are paying Easynet
> for a 2MB service).
> Of course with contention ratios of 5:1 it could still be sluggish
> if the other 4 users are also heavy on usage (as would be many schools).

Contention are frequently misunderstood. 5:1 actually means something
more along the lines of 250 2M connections being multiplex over
an ATM network onto one 100M ethernet port at the ISP end.

Mark Evans
St. Peter's CofE High School
Phone: +44 1392 204764 X109
Fax: +44 1392 204763