Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] ADSL speeds into school
  • From: "Mark Evans" <mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 22:16:54 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 03:55:07PM +0100, Alan Davies wrote:
> I noticed that Demon internet now offer better contention
> ratios than most (all?) other broadband providers.
>
> We are currently with pavilion (part of the easynet group) and although
> speeds were great a couple of years ago we have noticed a steady
> decline in service - which is barely better than ISDN rates around
> Lunch times.
>
> I assume this is down to contention - although we also use their
> filtered proxy service which has been a constriction in the past
> and I suspect that they use a transparent proxy on the non
> filtered service (is there a way to test for this?)

Go to a website which will display CGI variables and look
for HTTP_VIA, HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR & REMOTE_HOST variables.

> Not only might it be possible to get better bandwidth but Demon
> appears to be cheaper too (certainly less than we are paying Easynet
> for a 2MB service).
>
> Of course with contention ratios of 5:1 it could still be sluggish
> if the other 4 users are also heavy on usage (as would be many schools).

Contention are frequently misunderstood. 5:1 actually means something
more along the lines of 250 2M connections being multiplex over
an ATM network onto one 100M ethernet port at the ISP end.

--
Mark Evans
St. Peter's CofE High School