Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Problem mounting floppy
  • From: Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 13:44:06 +0000 (UTC)
--- "adrian.wells" <adrian.wells@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> SuSE 7.2
> I can't mount my floppy disk although the machine boots from the floppy.
> Any
> ideas please? All was working well.

If it is a boot-floppy such as a rescue disk, then you can't.

> History: I inadvertently deleted the contents of ect! and then tried to
> open
> the floppy to update some files that I had deleted. The machine told me
> that
> fstab did not exist. It was at this point that I noted that ect was in
> the
> bin! (by the way, never noticed before that there is no restore from the
> bin!) I replaced the files but it will still not mount the floppy
>
> I have tried several floppy disks, re-booted etc.

Ah, then this is interesting.....

> Below is a copy of my fstab and the errors that I can generate. I'm sure
> that I used to use an fstab editor, can anyone suggest what it may have
> been?
>
> Adrian
>
> PS what are "proc" & "devpts" ? I don't remember seeing these before.
>

> fstab entry
>
> /dev/sda7 / ex2 defaults 1 1
> /dev/sda5 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
> /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
> devpts /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
> /dev/dvd /media/dvd auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
> /dev/fd0 /media/floppy msdos noauto,user,sync 0 0
> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/sda1 /windows/c vfat noauto,user 0 0
> /dev/sda6 swap swap pri=42 0 0

> mount: you must specify the filesystem type
>
> And if fstab entry for the FDD is set to 'dos' I get
>
> mount: fs type not supported by kernel

Your kernel is missing several in-built modules by the sounds of things.
If you can re-compile it, or use SuSE's YAST tool to re-copy the original
kernel.

proc is a virtual fs used by the kernel.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
Thomas Adam

"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- www.linuxgazette.com