RE: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Open Souce Conference - a way forward ...
  • From: Chris Puttick <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 07:48:58 +0000 (UTC)
Comments in line.

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Rothwell
To: suse-linux-uk-schools@xxxxxxxx
Sent: 4/7/03 11:06 PM
Subject: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Open Souce Conference - a way forward...

<snip>
> The offer of this technology is computing that is:
> - low cost
> - sustainable
> - ubiquitious
> - customisable

Socially inclusive is normally a good one for schools; throwing in the
phrase "bridging the digital
divide" works nicely on council officers. Also with low cost emphasise TCO
as well as upfront capital.

<snip>

> Suggestions:
> that invitations are put out to get involved with the
> first wave - this should include:

<snip>

> * we share information and thoughts through a Wiki
> thus allowing any one to get involved
> * the AFFS is invited to be the front organisation for
> this group (www.affs.org.uk)
> * contact is made with organisations in other
> countries working on similar lines
> * we look for a major publicity drive in September by
> when a number of UK schools should be runnning large
> scale open source solutions.

The Wiki should be part rather than the front; FAQs, PR and advertising
material distilled from it and placed within public-facing parts of a site.

The AFFS (and related organisations) would not be an appropriate front for
this activity as their objectives would be perceived as overtly political,
rather than interested in deriving the best benefits for children, schools
and local communities. If we are to have a PR drive, the front should be
non-political, school management and LEA oriented. Presenting the purist
arguments up-front is likely to incur labelling as extremists and the rest
of the excellent reasons for schools adopting OSS will be ignored. If
individuals manage to arrange meetings with heads/chairs/education officers,
then the philosophical reasons can be presented as part of that meeting; it
is unlikely to be the deciding factor, but will become important to them in
time - remember: softly softly catch'ee monkey...

Regards

Chris

< Previous Next >