RE: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Migrating Users NT/2000 -> Linux
  • From: Chris Puttick <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:57:36 +0000 (UTC)
Ok...

In NT (any version...), there is a command line utility called <addusers>.
With the /d switch, the usernames and groups are dumped to a specified
filename. See

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b199878

for more details.

Then if you want to migrate the passwords, a tool such as L0phtCrack can get
most (managed 98% here) passwords out of the SAM database, via pwdump.

The alternative to the above is to wait until summer, then tell all the
users their passwords have been reset for security reasons, then miss out
the last step and just generate passwords for them.

Cheers

Chris