RE: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Capita SIMS - School Admin Microsoft Only?
  • From: "Grainge, Derek" <DGG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:25:11 +0000 (UTC)

> Even though there is no real reason to make something web-based be
> anything specific.

The back end will be very specific to MS SQL server. As for the front end - that was my point - as soon as you use MS products, your user client becomes very specific as well. It's almost impossible to do development avoiding all .net components. Adding cross-platform compatibility will add to development costs and the time to market.

We were all whinging about a) cost and b) development time, weren't we?

I am not trying to be a Capita apologist. But they will only do what you want if there's something in it for them. I think they're embattled, blinkers on, and don't care about compatibility right now.

All mail sent and received may be examined to prevent transmission
of unacceptable material.
Wellington College does not accept responsibility for email contents.
Problems to postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx