Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Starting the revolution?
  • From: "Mark Evans" <mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 14:13:41 +0000 (UTC)
> On Thursday 11 July 2002 11:40, Chris Puttick wrote:
> > Is anyone out there seriously considering the alternatives?
>
> Just talked to a deputy in a large 2000+ comprehensive attending a course I
> was running and they are looking at CMIS as are a few others. I guess quite a
> lot of people are looking at alternatives but it does take a bit of effort to
> find out what they offer. I can't really see any reason why companies tie
> themselves to Windows unnecessarily. Capita could just as easily have used

Partly it's the mentality of "everybody uses Windows".
Sometimes to the extent of "everybody uses XYZ specific
version of Windows." Too many people miss that Windows
is as about as fragmented as proprietary unix :)

> one of the free SQL data bases and a PHP scripted front end - that would have

Capita is an "MS partner", that's probably why.

> enabled them to lower the total cost of the system to schools and provide
> more choice of platform. Maybe their programmers only know a couple aof
> applications :-).

Probably why they stuck with Dbase. Though this excuse
does appear to be used, even with programmers who
arn't really qualified to be called programmers in
the first place.

--
Mark Evans
St. Peter's CofE High School