Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] ifconfig
  • From: Andrew Ray <aray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:17:39 +0000 (UTC)
Dave

Where/how can I set the equivalent of "ifconfig eth0:1 x.x.x.x netmask
etc" in Suse 8.0 yast.

As Roger has said, you cannot *do it* in YASt, but you can take what
yast has done so far and modify it to get your old startup behaviour. Let us assume that you have set up the primary address for your card.
Briefly, you need to investigate the contents of
/etc/sysconfig/network. In there you will find ascii files relating to the
card you have set up one address for using YaST (probably called
ifcfg-eth0. This will contain lines like:

IPADDR=10.0.0.104
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
BROADCAST=10.0.0.255
NETWORK=10.0.0.0
STARTMODE=onboot

Look in the file ifcfg.template, where you will se the following advice

# Multiple addresses (aka aliases)
# There are several ways to assign more than one IP address to a network
# interface. If you ever want to use YaST2 for this you should choose
the
# first possibility:
# 1) one IP address per config file:
# create multiple copies of your master config files and add
':<string>' to
# the filenames of the copy. Prefer increasing number starting at 1.
# 2) multiple IP addresses per config file:
# You can extend the variable name 'IPADDR' by any string you like
(IPADDR_1,

That advice is slightly expanded in the man page for ifup.

(I haven't continued the second section, as the first is what you
need.) So all you do is copy your ifcfg-eth0 file to ifcfg-eth0:1 etc and then change the internal data to match your alias
requirements.

Happy hunting.

Andrew

E-Mail: aray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx