Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Some showstopping network issues..
  • From: Clive Jones <clive@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:15:23 +0000 (UTC)

On Thursday 20 Jun 2002 12:27 pm, Steve Palmer wrote:

> I have managed to get them to a point where Ifstatus
> sees em and verifys them as 'up' and with appropriate
> ip addresses etc. BUT even tho the light on the card
> displays it is connected at 100mbits and there is the
> background activity of the network on the card, it
> will not ping any other ip address be it on the local
> network, nor the external side!?! I'm pretty much
> baffled by this seeing as it is using the same cables
> and sockets pre-linux testing, and i've tried removing
> the test box from the network to see if that will do
> the trick but it doesn't..

Note that some cards sometimes need to be forced into full or half duplex to
work OK depending on what is on the other end of the cable. I'm not sure if
your cards come into this category.

ifconfig and tcpdump are other commands which are useful in diagnosing network
problems once you can ping the interface and any routing/firewall issues are
resolved.

HTH

C.