Re: [suse-schools-usa] Whoa (Obtaining Hardware)
  • From: Andrew Choens <dru@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:31:40 +0000 (UTC)
How did your school obtain funding for the computers and what not? Where did
this idea originate from?

One problem I've noticed is getting the hardware. Does your school put
computers in the classroom or in labs?

What do people think about the pros/cons of dedicated computer labs versus
computers in every classroom? With either solution what ratios of computers
to students have schools managed to achieve?

SuSE and Linux can handle the software side. That www.seul.org page is
awesome. So, having said that, perhaps some brainstorming on ways to obtain
hardware would be constructive. I've been thinking about the idea of
approaching local businesses. Going door to door however doesn't seem very
constructive. Thus, I came up with a couple of alternatives. People listen
to the radio. Radios like doing community organized projects because it
makes them look good. Perhaps they could help get the word out. I've got
another idea, but I'm waiting for more information to see if it seems
feasible. Anyone else have ideas along thes lines?