Re:StarOffice
  • From: Paul Munro <paul.munro1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:44:19 +0000 (UTC)
Whoooaaaaaa there me matey!!!

I wasn't saying that because OpenOffice.Org was free that it was the
proverbial..I was merely saying that as a student the OpenOffice.Org version
*right now* for me would be excellent, and if my friends in business and
schools were going to use StarOffice the site license scheme with perhaps
appropriate support/updates would be prefereble to downloading a free copy
and forfeiting the support and packaging that *lots* of people like.

I am in fact an advocate of FREE software, and not rather an advocate of
*just* open source software. You rightly state that free software can be just
(if not more) valuable and useful; reliable, and all those other things as
commercial software.

What we have to think of though is the mindset of the average proprietary
software user who sees marketing, packaging, cost (though small) and support
as integral to a "good deal". Yes- free software can (and often does) give
these things, but until the public is saturated with that point what Sun are
offering here will help a long way towards that goal.

Phew...can I come back up for air now :-)

Paul