Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Microsoft stole my mother (was StarOffice)
  • From: "Mark Evans" <mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:54:55 +0000 (UTC)
> On Tuesday 12 February 2002 07h44, Damian Counsell wrote:
>
> > These courses turned out to be very well run, carefully tested and
> > graded Microsoft Office indoctrination classes. My mum has worked hard
> > at them, enjoyed them immensely and made excellent progress. She has
> > not been taught how to use a wordprocessor, but is brilliant with Word.
> > She has no deep understanding of databases, but can do a dozen amazing
> > things with Access before breakfast etc etc. Now she is the computer
> > goddess at work.
>
> I walked out of the MCSE crammer when the guy insisted that MS had invented
> the GUI and was the first DOS. He told me C/PM wasn't a true OS and that the

But all the bits in CP/M (and for that matter MP/M and CP/Net)
actually worked, which is more than can be said for the rather
bad *copy*, known as QDOS which Microsoft branded MS-DOS.

> mouse and windows-like environments (Apple, Amstrad et al) weren't GUIs. He

Obviously never seen anything made by Atari, Acron or Commodore
either. Even a Sinclair QL is better than Windows V1.

> did have the grace to admit that Novell was a network OS.

Hope they payed their dues to the estate of a certain
E. Blair (Better known as G. Orwell)...

--
Mark Evans
St. Peter's CofE High School