Migrating From NT4 to Linux...
  • From: "Paul Munro" <paul.munro1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:15:22 +0000 (UTC)
Yes. To all. And then some :-)

As someone has said, place all of your config.pol into a Netlogon share,
making SAMBA the domain logon server. You will need SAMBA 2.2.x but that
shouldn't be a problem. As far as channel bonding goes, I looked into this
some time ago and in theory it is possible but personally I never got to a
solid conclusion about it. Remember, load balancing and channel bonding are
two separate things, so make sure you are implementing the correct method!

SAMBA/Linux as a server will exceed your expectations and security needs
without a shadow of a doubt. You will have more granular security over files
and file permissions, and looking through a book such as "Using SAMBA" by
OReilley will help you with the subtle SAMBA configuration options that will
secure your server from installation and early configuration (something
you'll need being in a school I suspect).

Good luck--let us all know how the decision goes and how the implementation
goes!!!

Paul