Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Hi all
  • From: "Frank Shute" <frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 05:33:10 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 10:17:08PM +0000, Christopher Dawkins wrote:

> >> What I'd really love is for somebody to make
> >> it possible to restrict the things that are possible in KDE -- for example
> >> so that a school could use it on the desktop without the kids fiddling with
> >> all the settings.
>
> It seems to me that this is
> (a) extremely easy
> & (b) rather difficult
>
> It is easy because it is all controlled by text files in areas (on our
> system) such as /usr/share/applnk and /usr/share/config and ~/.kde/share.
> These text files are easily edited by hand or by scripts, which might be
> run by cron, and easily protected against user modification if the users
> don't have root access.
>
> It is difficult because you need to know the structure of the applnk and
> config and rc files and the interactions between them, and you then need
> to know how to write the appropriate scripts.

I would have thought some sort of XML based tool would make
sense since there are already plenty of tools to deal with XML (ie.
editors), it would be easy to hack a parser together and it's just
plain text. Mozilla makes use of an XML for configuration purposes:

http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html

--

Frank

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Boroughbridge.
Tel: 01423 323019
---------
PGP keyID: 0xC0B341A3

http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/

The problems of business administration in general, and database management in
particular are much too difficult for people that think in IBMese, compounded
with sloppy english.
-- Edsger Dijkstra

< Previous Next >