Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] DCMA act - Linux format xmas 2001
  • From: Phillip Deackes <gsmh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:58:19 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 09:37:02 +0000
Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And don't kid yourself into thinking that laws that daft won't get
through
> over here. Basically the a large part of the SSSCA is just the same as
our
> disasterous RIP bill, except that they've taken it a bit further and
they
> want to be able to spy on you electronically. Under the SSSCA the
makers of
> OS's etc need to build in back doors so that the law enforcement
services
> (read NSA, CIA, FBI) can secretly get into your PC.

Don't know why you all worry. If the law is an ass, ignore it. The law of
the land exists as a manifestation of the public will, not as a whim of MS
and the government. I have no problem doing what I think is right, law or
no law. As long as the moral stance is broadly in line with the
established norms of our society, go for it. There are plenty of cases
where the law follows the citizens of a country rather than vice versa.

Mass public protest - I *like* that!

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Debian Linux