Linux in Primary Schools
  • From: Matt Johnson <johnsonmlw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:17:46 +0000 (UTC)
I'm a Primary ICT Co-ordinator.

I support a handful of schools for which I have
installed a Linux file server, and proxy server.

It works like a dream.

I strugled with a heap of old machines to set up thin
clients. It blew out my Easter break. I feel that
perhaps buying thin client workstations is the way to
go about this, not to use an eclectic mix of old
machines (unless you have the time to invest in
sorting them).

Primary schools CAN do most of the curriculum with
productivity software. StarOffice will cover a lot.
You will need to run it remotely if you are using
older machines. It grinds to a halt if your
workstation is light on RAM (it needs 64mb really).

But, there are holes. Multimedia educational stuff is
bigger in KS1, and the folk down there do love it. I
push the Core applications as much as I can, but they
do need a few other bits too.

Just my two cents.

Hope it helps.

--