Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] How little memory can we get away with
  • From: Giles Nunn <giles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 15:30:49 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Phil Driscoll wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've just installed Suse 7.2 on one of our 'scrounged' machines. The machines
> are 200MHz pentiums with 3Gb hard discs but only 32Mb RAM. During the
> installation I assigned the entire hard disc to Linux (letting Yast2
> apportion boot root and swap) and installed the 'default with office' option
> - i.e. shed loads of stuff that we probably don't need :)
>
> Everything seems to work ok, but the KDE desktop frequently grinds to a near
> halt on redraws - you can see the screen slowly redraw on bit-blit
> operations, and the redraw is accompanied by a lot of disc thrashing. As a
> performance indicator, those who remember ARM 2 Archimedes redrawing in
> screen mode 21 won't be far off the mark.
>
> So, I disabled all services which I suspected we didn't need, to save on
> memory, however there seems to have been little or no performance
> improvement. Things get worse when running Star Office, which I guess is the
> biggest thing we would want to run.
>
> So, the question is:
>
> I'm I wasting my time trying to get KDE2 stuff working on a 32Mb machine, or
> can anyone point me at some tweaks that will make these machines useful?

IMHO yes. When I was running a workstation with only 32M I discovered
icewm. It will even work ok in 16M (probably not with xfree 4, though).
I now have 128M but I still use icewm. It is just as usable as KDE, much
easier to configure (when you know where to look) and *much* quicker

Star Office is pretty heavy on resources too. It will run in 32M but I
wouldn't bother except to prove it. With KDE2 and Star Office together
you will certainly need to go to at least 64M and to get good performance
I would aim at 128M (RAM is cheap now).

HTH
Giles Nunn - Network Manager
Carms Schools ICT Development Centre