RE: [suse-linux-uk-schools] software in schools/piracy
  • From: "Coulton,G" <coultogi01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:11:12 +0000 (UTC)

I'm talking about workstations! I'm talking about adding a Linux Server
as opposed to an NT / W2K / XP Server

>From the information I seem to remember receiving this is what
they were seemingly talking about.

> It's workstations which take up most of the time with Windows.
> Compounded by Windows being an operating system which expects to
> be end user administered, hence makes it easy for the person using
> the machine to mess with all sorts of things.

That's the reason for profiles and policies surely?

> Let alone that being able to install an application only once
> for the whole network is unimaginable with an entirely Windows
> system.
>
> How much time do you think you would have to spend converting
> to XP?

At the moment. None!

W2K looks like you have to buy W2K CALs, so I'm presuming you
have to buy the same for XP. As someone who has already spent a fair amount
of money on NT CALs I'm not prepared to spend even more on something which
we don't need in school at this present time. I can only talk from my
schools perspective which to be honest has been playing catchup on IT.

All the money we spend needs to be on new stuff - not upgrading year old
stuff
just because MS thinks they might like to release ANOTHER all singing and
dancing OS