RE: [suse-linux-uk-schools] authentication
  • From: Simon Wood <Simon.Wood@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:24:11 +0000 (UTC)

[Simon Wood]
Beats working... ;-)

> I've already set up one of my own machines as a PDC using SAMBA and my NT
> machine is very happy to mount the shares etc, so I am happy on that score.
> However, I haven't got the first idea how to set up a linux client machine to
> login via a server. I certainly don't want to have to setup all the user
> accounts on all the client machines, however the machines will need to retain
> local logon functionality for when they are used away from the school
> network, and also in the event of a failure in the network or server.
[Simon Wood]
I was mucking around at home and approached this from the
opposite direction.... I set up 'yellow pages' so that other
Linux boxes could use a central user/password server and then
configured Samba to refer to that.

Depending on you level of commitment to using M$ as the system
authenticator, you might be able to do it this way round.

Haven't tried it with M$ in charge....