Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] ltsp...desktop issues...
  • From: Giles Nunn <giles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:45:19 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, [iso-8859-1] Matt Johnson wrote:

> I managed to sort out my first linux terminal server
> and client setup last night. Very pleased.

I am just starting on that adventure - which distro did you use and were
there any major gotchas?

> Can anyone point me to some instructions for locking
> down a desktop (as I'm used to doing in Windoze with
> policies etc). I want to sort out just a few icons and
> options on the menu as default, so when I create users
> they all get the same desktop, that they cannot
> change.

It depends which window manager/desktop you use. In principle if you make
the menu configuration files root-writeable only, then they can't change
anything. There is normally a skeleton directory which is copied when
creating each user. Try /etc/skel.