Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] ltsp...desktop issues...
  • From: Michael Brown <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 17:36:30 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Mark Evans wrote:
> Also for such things as program menu's and desktop icons it dosn't
> make much sense having multiple copies of the same things.

I don't know about GNOME, but KDE doesn't have multiple copies of menu
items. You have a central menu configuration which gets merged with
users' private settings to create the menus that are seen on-screen (and
you could simply make the users' menu folder read-only if you want to stop
them creating their own menu entries).

If you really want to lock it down to a point where no-one can change
anything, just symlink the relevant folders to point to central copies
(e.g. ~/.kde/Desktop -> /usr/share/commonsettings/Desktop). This also
saves you having multiple copies of everything.

> Makes far more sense for these to work on an "overlay" principle.
> Where you can have a global default, an arbitry number of group
> specific additions and optional user additions which are "stuck"
> together when someone logs in.

KDE central menu configuration with some entries set to

chgrp groupname menu_entry
chmod o-rx menu_entry

?

That might[1] do the trick, and if it works then it doesn't require any
extra code and it won't slow down the logon process.

Michael

[1] not tested - don't blame me if it doesn't work