Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] K12LTSP
  • From: "Alan Davies" <staff.asd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:14:15 +0000 (UTC)
LTSP is almost certain to require more resources than Windows Terminal Server.

With LTSP you ARE running LINUX on the local machine - albeit without a hard disc.

With Terminal Server the applications (and desktop) are 'running' on the server - and
only the display is hosted by the client. 386 CPU and DOS is minimum spec for WTS
provided you use the CITRIX layer on top. Otherwise you need a proper 32bit CPU.

It would be possible to get away with fewer resources by 'only' running an Xserver
on the client - but X is a much bigger beast than a WTS client. We use Xserver
clients on 12MB Acorn RiscPC and A7000 clients quite successfully. We also use
Citrix on the same machines.

--
Alan Davies
Head of Computing