RE: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Advice please
  • From: "Newell, John" <JNewell@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:19:02 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Paul,
At the risk of proving I am no expert on this....
The choice of a thin client (low bandwidth) LINUX SERVER is limited. Are
you thinking of deploying M$ products? If so then I don't know of a way to
do this from a Linux box.

If you are using Windoze based apps then perhaps Citrix will is not
required; too expensive, but there is evidence that it works (to a point).
The Windows 2k thin client server route has improved over the NT4 version
and is cheaper.

An ICA client (Citrix type) is available on Linux and works very well but
needs a M$ server. Watch out for the cost of licenses with all the
commercial solutions - it may not be as cheap as you fist think to deploy
thin clients.

Thick clients (higher bandwidth) work well and could be very cost effective.
There is a lot of info about configuring X-based apps in a distributed
environment.

What about wordperfect and Staroffice?
Anyone have a view on this?