Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] PostgreSQL and Linux / Windows
  • From: Alan Harris <alanh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:56:47 +0000 (UTC)
Many thans all,

After a little reading and some downloading of software I have a running PostgreSQL server,
access from my linux systems to the server, and access to the PostgreSQL databases on the
server via PostODBC and Lotus Approach from Windows systems. The only thing I can say is
that I wish I'd started this approach two years ago!

I've also managed to access the databases via Perl so I feel like I'm really getting
somewhere.

Reasons for using PostgreSQL over MYSQL are mainly concerned with the transaction
capabilities of the software. I have the IBM packages for Linux but haven't yet had time to
look at them.

I now (more than previously) believe that the open source is the only way forward for
schools, and look forward to meeting most of you at the OSE Seminar in Coventry for a really
good discussion time!

Alan Harris
Network Manager
Bryngwyn School