Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Masquerading
  • From: Nick Drage <nick-drage@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 00:47:15 +0000 (UTC)
Hi,

On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, Dave Williams wrote:
> I need to extend my school's network beyond the 254 IP numbers I'm using -
> based on 172.19.50.x
>
> This network includes a router which links through an ISDN line to an LEA
> proxy server.
>
> Is the best way to achieve this to split the network into 2 segment and
> use a Linux machine and Masquerading to link them together.

Will the routing at the LEA not allow you to simply have an extra 254
addresses? Change your allocation from 172.19.50/24 to 172.19.50/23,
which will give you 172.19.50.0 -> 172.19.51.255 ( worked out, in my head,
with a cold, so I may be right about the theory but wrong about the ranges
).

> ie.- leave the bulk of the machines on 172.19.50.x
> use 192.168.0.x for the others
> use two NICs in the Linux machine, 1 for each subnet
> Install masquerading
>
> Will this allow the machines on 192.168.0.x to access *all* the services
> on the main network?

Depends on the services used, but if you're going to use masquerading only
but no firewalling there probably won't be any problems. I would have
thought there's a more elegant solution though - you may be reconfiguring
a lot of TCP/IP stacks over the summer holiday.......

--
Nick Drage, helping fill up the internet since 1993.

"On the other hand, O'Reilly's book about running Win95 has a toad as the
cover animal. Makes sense; both have lots of warts and croak all the time."
-- Michael Kagalenki
http://www.arkane.demon.co.uk/avatar/quotes.html