RE: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Today's welcome message
  • From: James Samuel <james@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 08:17:28 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 25 May 2000, Glenn Cameron wrote:

> Roger Whittaker wrote:
> > People are signing up for this list every day ...
> >
> > Let's hear from you - post a message to introduce yourselves and say what
> > you are doing or hoping to do with Linux.
>
> Hello all, been lurking for a few weeks so guess ought to post a brief
> intro. Before Christmas we converted one of our old servers to run SuSE
> Linux 6.3, primarily to run Squid and Apache. It works very well, the only
> problems I have are:
>
> * never got taper to work
> * named seems unbelievably slow (I was hoping it would cache DNS
> information for the network
> * Squid usage script someone gave me doesn't work
>
> Any pointers on the above most welcome!

I would strongly recommend reading the docs for named and squid through -
these tools will not work without configuration, named especially!

/usr/doc/packages is the place to start. Named is NOT easy to configure,
and will NOT work out of the box on a network.

--
James Samuel
Network Manager, SuSE Linux Ltd.