Re: [opensuse-doc] French translation for openSUSE Doc
  • From: Guillaume Gardet <guillaume.gardet@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 15:03:36 +0100
Hi,

Le 21/11/2011 14:20, Thomas Schraitle a écrit :
Hi Guillaume,

On Monday 21 November 2011 Guillaume Gardet wrote:
We (french community) started some time ago to translate the official
documentation using POT/PO files generated from the english xml files,
using www.vertaal.com.ar but I would like to use the official SVN to store
the datas needed to have a translated doc.

How do you translate xml files and update them ? Copy XML from english and
then edit directly in XML ? If so, how do you deal with updates ?
In principle, yes.
Updates are tricky. We don't have any other system apart form POT/PO. So
currently, it's up to the translators to use tools which best fit to their
workflow. However, I'm not really involved into translation, probably Karl can
say more about that topic.

Ok. So we can use POT/PO files but on our home, not on the server which hold
only xml files, images, etc... That is it ?

Can you create a french sub-directory on the server and give me write
access so that I can update the files ?
Sure, however I would wait a little bit more. The problem is that BerliOS will
be closed next month. Currently we are testing and migrating our SVN to a new
home. We will make an announcement soon, hopefully this week. After that, you
can apply for some write permissions. :)

Ok, it is the same for the SVN server used for distribution translation. I will
ping the ML later, once the migration will be ok.

Thanks.

Guillaume