Re: [opensuse-doc] openSUSE 11.4 manuals ready for translation / 11.4 changes
  • From: "pistazienfresser (see profile)" <pistazienfresser@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 19:57:11 +0100
Am 10/03/11 13:11, schrieb Frank Sundermeyer:
On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 16:27:24 +0100 pistazienfresser (see profile) wrote:

Hi,

I have just given a new user (who as got his system a bit ruined) a
link to:
[...]
openSUSE Start-Up > Chapter 6. Basic Concepts
http://doc.opensuse.org/products/opensuse/openSUSE_113/opensuse-startup/cha.new.html[/url]

Have I only not been able to find the passages in the new Reference or
the new Startup or do you think something like it is not more
necessary?

I would doubt that it would be really wise to drop basics like that
completely.

It does not fit into the Reference Guide anymore, because that guide
assumes you already know about the basic Linux concepts, so I dropped
it.

On the other hand you are right - an introduction on general Linux
concepts targeted at former Windows users would be a good thing to have.

Please file an enhancement bug for 11.5, Component Documentation and
assign it to me (fs@xxxxxxxxxx).

I have seen that you (singular/pl.?) have made a great improvement in
the manuals - in quantity and as far as I guess/rate also in quality.
Sorry that I left out the more or less obvious.

And probably your time and power is limited.

Maybe the dropped texts could be treated a bit alike to the staging part
of the kernel code?
What do you think about releasing it to the/pasting it in the wiki and
hope for some other people to keep it up to date?
In that case you may refer to that pages in the book-like-documentation.

On the other hand: Coming from the jurisprudence
(as one of the German "Geisteswissenschaften" but also being in Germany
always related to existing/possible cases of use)
and having been a bit in love with mathematics I tend to believe that
you should define the basics (like conceps) to be able to work with the
more specific issues (and vis versa).

So if you are writing about special things like polkit1/policy kit would
it not make sense to have a basics passage to refer to in order to avoid
to much duplication but also to give an hint why the user/admin should
go that a bit more complicated way and not just start the program as
root or with full root previleges?
The reasons why some use sodo or su- and some just su may also fit in a
more conceptual guide/manifest/...

Are the security guys not thinking about concepts and something more or
less fitting in them if they
have to decide about a package been included in a distribution or not
have to decide about a default setup of a distribution
have to decide about a concret setup of a server or desktop?

What you know what they think about that issue/these issues and where
and how it would best placed?

Just my thoughts/a bit brainstorming.

Regards
Martin