Re: [opensuse-doc] How about including some books with openSUSE ?
  • From: "Alexey Eremenko" <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:05:29 +0200
Do you have some special documentation that you want to
see as RPM package on DVD (apart from GIMP)?

1. Well, there is an excellent command-line tutorial (made by
Mandrake), which really helped me to start learning the command-line.
It's very useful. This Book is really *unique*, because it's the
only-one I know which is easy to read and understand for beginners. As
a bonus this book is relatively up-to-date (2004 updated, so it's
relevant)

I would like to either include it, or rewrite it and then include it.
I don't know, however, if Novell will allow such a move.

Links:
http://www.mandriva.com/en/community/resources/documentation
http://doc.mandrivalinux.com/MandrakeLinux/101/en/Command-Line.html/

If Novell agrees, (+ I could get the sources) + license is acceptable,
I could try to modify it, to better correlate to SUSE Linux.
Actually, what's need edit is the removal of Mandrake trademarks, as
the text is great.
But I might need some help from community.

AFAIK: Mandriva dropped this book.

2. "Rute" in another excellent (but very old) book about Linux
command-line - for Advanced Linux Users. (this book, unfortunately
wasn't updated for a very long time, so some chapters are outdated,
last updated 2002)

link:
http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.gz

But the Rute books covers a lot more aspects of Linux in a lot more
detail than other books, so I would include it.

3. maybe Rebecca is right about not including the GIMP book (outdated).