Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-contrib (154 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-contrib] Fwd: [opensuse-factory] The Future of Factory/Contrib
  • From: Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 11:25:02 +0200
Hi,

on 06/04/2009 08:36 AM Michal Vyskocil wrote:
On Wednesday 03 of June 2009 18:37:10 Henne Vogelsang wrote:
Alexey Eremenko wrote:
2.) drop Contrib and move all packages to appropiate devel project and
Factory
I choose this.

Contrib was created especially because Factory people disallow
community to maintain openSUSE packages.
Since the original problem is gone, there is no point of having contrib.
That was my argument as well. The best idea i heard so far for Contrib
after the opening of Factory was to use it as a kind of Beginners
Repository. For packagers that don't want to have the huge burden of the
strict maintenance policy (which might get revised in the future) that
Factory has. I'm all for this!

I don't like the term "Beginners Repository". Contrib should be an equivalent
of Ubuntu's universe [1] - repository with no guarantee of support.

Of course we could.

In Factory we guarantee (at least) security updates for almost 2 years, which
must be backended by someone from Novell.

The last part is not true anymore. It must be backed by someone from the
openSUSE project's team that maintains this package.

And community maintainers are not interested in something like
backporting of patches to 2 years old piece of software running on 2
years old distribution, so this will be probably done by Novell
employers.

A maintainer is a maintainer is a maintainer. Currently the tasks of a
maintainer for a package in Factory includes maintenance for released
products. No matter if he is employed by Novell or not. If someone does
not want to do this then he can't become a maintainer.

So instead of changing of existing rules for Factory, we could have Novell
supported Factory and community based Contrib with no guarantee of support
and
no required Novell backend in case of troubles.

Again: There is no required backend from Novell for Factory. This is,
after the bundling of devel projects, the second big thing we are about
to change.

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang, openSUSE.