[opensuse-conference] Scouting openSUSE Conference locations - the surprise...
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 23:57:53 +0200
So here's a pleasant surprise.

Michal and Theo are involved in the just-starting organization of a 'reboot'
of a well known local event (12 years of history): LinuxExpo. This used to be
organized by a conference-company but they've announced not to do that this
year.

A local team has decided to do it instead, working with the Technical
University of Praha (biggest technical university in the country, I'm told).
The team consists of openSUSE, Ubuntu, Gentoo people as well as chief editors
of the 3 major Linux magazine and university people. Michal and Theo had an
appointment to discuss the conference and I tagged along. The team was unsure
about their scope: go international or not? Theo suggested to have a Gentoo
side-event with about 50-70 people. We then suggested to co-locate with
openSUSE Conf!

The team liked the idea and we went over the basics:
- Location? 3 metro stops from the city center, 2 stops from the old city
- Rooms: all we want. 300 + 180 + 180 large rooms, plenty of small rooms.
- Catering: there is university catering but we can do what we want.
- Branding: go nuts.
- Date: please one week earlier than we wanted to do at KC.
- How many days: they wanted 2 days (sat & sun) but we can have Thur and Fri
if we pay a bit.
- What do they think: The team loves it. They get international exposure 'for
free'. The university was so excited they promised to move whatever is needed
in their schedule to give us space on Thur and Fri...
- openSUSE 'identity': We start on Thur, Sat we open up. Enough time to just
hang with geeko's.
- CfP: We should collaborate with our CfP - there is plenty of overlap between
the local and global teams (gentoo, openSUSE & LinuxExpo). Just think of a
keynote by Greg KH :D
- Team: we work with the university and other people so it'll save us all
work.
- Costs: It looks like we can afford it, it is in the same price range as KC.
We have a final cost picture tomorrow, Monday latest.
- Costs2: We and the Gentoo people need travel support - but the LinuxExpo has
an estimated total costs of about 1500 euro as they don't do that, have a free
location (university) and free marketing (the magazine people!).
- Sponsoring: we need to figure out the exact details but nobody is trying to
get rich of this so it should work out fine.
- Timeframe: we can probably have it all fixed by end of next week!
- Marketing: Awesomeness of course. With the main local magazines part of the
organization, we'll have all the local attention we want. internationally,
this looks really good too. We want to collaborate, this is our chance!
- University: all big geeks. They run Gentoo with KDE desktops on their
computers in the work rooms :D
- Language: We will have both Czech and English tracks. Bit of shuffling
should make sure there's always plenty going on for both language groups.
- Feeling: less cozy, more 'university'. Big building, not particularly pretty
or sweet. We need to bring some of that good old huggyness there. Couches
etc., not sure if there's a good spot for that but I think we can find
something.
- But but but didn't we sign something with KC already: no, Alan asked Michael
to hold off until we can decide on this new opportunity.

In short.

Crazy surprise, but everyone seems to love the idea and we can do it. It fits
our requirements and has many benefits.

I made a quick impression - it's much shorter as it was less prepared than the
KC one, but here you go: http://youtu.be/EFd4pXcBeDQ

Tomorrow around 15:00 EU time we have a meeting to discuss this, feedback
please asap so we can bring that to the table. We have to decide quickly.

/Jos