[opensuse-buildservice] how to restart obs services correctly?
Hi all,

last weeks my instance (2.10) had strange problems, often everything was slow /
sluggish but the OBS server was more or
less idle (I have thrown enough hardware at the problem I guess, 16GB of RAM
and 10 VCPUs on a not totally up-to-date
intel xeon x5670).

Even the webfrontend was not responding and "osc st" for example took many
minutes to eventually finish.

Investigating, I found lots of "rpc timeout" messages in all services log files.
Just restarting some of them (src server, scheduler) seemed to fix the issue
often, but then it reappeard a day or a
week later.

Finally I just rebooted the whole server, now everything is fine again.
I also enabled $logtimeout =1 in BSRPC.pm, even before rebooting.

It looked like communication with bs_srcserver was the one that timed out, and
from my hopeless tries in stracing the
issue I'd guess some lock around the lastevents file was the problem.

I think that this was caused by restarting services in the wrong order, which
was finally "fixed" by rebooting the server.

Is there a recommended way to restart all services without rebooting the server?
Or is a reboot the simplest way to achieve that ;-)

Thanks,
seife
--
Stefan Seyfried