From: Adrian Schröter [mailto:adrian@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2018 9:11 AM
To: opensuse-buildservice@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Keil, Karsten
Subject: Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Random delays during worker start

On Mittwoch, 5. Dezember 2018, 19:54:54 CET Keil, Karsten wrote:
Hello,

In our private OBS instance we use KVM workers on SLE12S-SP3.
The build servers are HP DL380 Gen9 with 40 cores with 256GB RAM for big
workers, 128 GB Ram for smaller ones. On such HW we running for example
10 instances with 3 Jobs.
The Problem is that after the initial install stage here are very often (I
would say ~ 1/3 of the builds) huge delays in the start of the VM:

A good one:
[ 10s] booting kvm...
[ 10s] ### VM INTERACTION START ###
[ 11s] /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -nodefaults -no-reboot -nographic -vga none
-object rng-random,filename=/dev/random,id=rng0 -device
virtio-rng-pci,rng=rng0 -runas qemu -cpu host -net n [ 11s] [
1.063999] dracut-pre-udev[161]: modprobe: FATAL: Module kqemu not found. [
12s] [ 2.047790] dracut-pre-udev[161]: modprobe: FATAL: Module ibmvscsi
not found. [ 12s] [ 2.052451] dracut-pre-udev[161]: modprobe: FATAL:
Module ibmveth not found. [ 12s] ### VM INTERACTION END ###
[ 12s] 2nd stage started in virtual machine
[ 12s] machine type: x86_64
Bad looks like:
[ 11s] booting kvm...
[ 12s] ### VM INTERACTION START ###
[ 12s] /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -nodefaults -no-reboot -nographic -vga none
-object rng-random,filename=/dev/random,id=rng0 -device
virtio-rng-pci,rng=rng0 -runas qemu -cpu host -net n [ 12s] [
1.437692] dracut-pre-udev[161]: modprobe: FATAL: Module kqemu not found. [
111s] [ 98.122901] dracut-pre-udev[161]: modprobe: FATAL: Module ibmvscsi
not found. [ 112s] [ 99.982451] dracut-pre-udev[161]: modprobe: FATAL:
Module ibmveth not found. [ 112s] ### VM INTERACTION END ###
[ 112s] 2nd stage started in virtual machine
[ 112s] machine type: x86_64
This could also up to 300 seconds, I do not really found a relationship to
the size of the build jobs or amount of packages to install. Also the build
itself seems not to be much slower after the delay. The host itself does
not have any high load at these moments, most of CPUs is idle. So my
questions are:
What exact happens in that stage of the VM start, are there copies of the
initial packages ongoing ? Does somebody see similar things ?
OBS version is 2.92.

It seems to be the initrd booting...

OBS version should not really matter here, it is more a question which kernel/
initrd is used IMHO. Do you use a kernel-obs-build here or is it the one from
the worker system?

The information in this e-mail is confidential. The contents may not be
disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee. Access to this e-mail by
anyone else is unauthorised.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Airbus immediately and
delete this e-mail.
Airbus cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of
this e-mail as it has been sent over public networks. If you have any concerns
over the content of this message or its Accuracy or Integrity, please contact
Airbus immediately.
All outgoing e-mails from Airbus are checked using regularly updated virus
scanning software but you should take whatever measures you deem to be
appropriate to ensure that this message and any attachments are virus free.