Re: [opensuse-buildservice] How to manage a product with very frequent releases and no maintenance for each release
  • From: Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2018 11:34:58 -0400
On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 10:34 AM Julio González Gil <jgonzalez@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi everyone,

In this case we are talking about Uyuni (systemsmanagement:Uyuni), the new
upstream for SUSE Manager (replacing spacewalk).

We basically want to release each two/four/six weeks a new version, starting
with 4.0, promoting packages from systemsmanagement:Uyuni:Master (development
project) to some place.

Between one version and the other, there will be no maintenance. Each change,
whatever itis, will required a new release and version.

You could see it as Tumbleweed to some extent, but with a big difference: we
really want to have versions, as Leap or SLE, but unlike Leap or SLE, very
frequent releases.

This is useful, for example, if users are running a version of Uyuni in
"production", we release a new version, and they want to setup a server with
the same version as "production" and then test migration.

One way I see to do this would be creating a systemmanagement:Uyuni subproject
for each version and then freeze the packages (so we would have
systemsmanagement:Uyuni:4.0, systemsmanagement:Uyuni:4.1,
systemsmanagement:Uyuni:4.2 and so on...)

However I wonder if this is the correct way to do it, because to me it seems a
little bit overkill.

Two questions to ask here:

1. Is the intent to only maintain a single release series? If yes, do
you intend for seamless migration/upgrade to be possible?

2. If you don't intend to maintain a single release series, do you
intend to maintain branches mapping to each release series?