[opensuse-buildservice] Should OBS always unconditionally use lint?
  • From: Nicholas Brown <nickbroon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 09:45:38 +0100
Hi All,

In OBS at:
https://github.com/openSUSE/open-build-service/blob/master/src/backend/bs_worker#L3024
the '--lint' option is unconditionally always passed to the 'build' command:

push @args, '--lint';

And in the build command at:
https://github.com/openSUSE/obs-build/blob/master/build#L1214
this results in 'rpmlint-Factory' being unconditionally added to
$ADDITIONAL_PACKS

test -z "$DO_LINT" || ADDITIONAL_PACKS="$ADDITIONAL_PACKS rpmlint-Factory"

This will be case even for non rpm builds, such as Debian .dsc builds, and
for target rpm distribution repositories that might have or support this
additional package such Fedora. This seems clearly wrong.

This will result in an invocation like:

/bin/bash /usr/lib/build/init_buildsystem --configdir
/usr/lib/build/configs --cachedir /var/cache/build --rpmlist
/var/tmp/osc-buildpackage/rpmlist.nRE0pS
/var/tmp/osc-buildpackage/my_package_1.2.3.dsc rpmlint-Factory

(init_build appears to ignore the rpmlint-Factory argument, thought I'm not
sure specifically why as I'm don't understand how init_build and expanddeps
work, but it's clearly wrong to pass rpmlint-Factory to .dsc build
targeting a Debian distribution repository)

Should the above $DO_LINT test also test $BUILDTPYE to make sure it's a
.spec build? (And thus not add the additional package for .dsc builds)

Going even further should the '--lint' option perhaps be removed from the
build command, and OBS not set this? It seems that simply using 'Support:
rpmlint-Factory' in the prjconf for those projects that want and can use
this would be the appropriate way to control this.

(It appears the actual invocation of 'rpmlint' for .spec builds is
controlled by '$DO_CHECKS' and passing '--nochecks')

Thanks,
Nick